As the Quo Warranto petition filed by Solicitor General Jose Calida continues to hog the limelight, there has been a lot of fake news circulating online regarding the reason why the petition was filed.
Lawyer Trixie Cruz-Angeles, the other half of the FB Page Luminous by Trixie Cruz-Angeles & Ahmed Paglinawan has taken to Facebook to shed light on the issue.
Angeles used Tagalog as medium to reach out to as many Filipinos as she can, to stop the wrong information from dominating the narrative and putting President Duterte and his administration in a bad light.
Angeles began by politely asking netizens who stumble upon her post that she will set the records straight with regards to the reasons why SolGen Calida filed the Quo Warranto petition before the SC.
Angeles listed down the 5 major reasons, which she debunked as incorrect.
1. the DBP write off the debt of ABS-CBN. 2. ABS-CBN has a tax case (they claimed they already paid their tax obligation) 3. Their news reporting are very biased. 4. They literally ran off with Duterte’s payment for his campaign ads without delivering their end of the bargain. 5. The SOAP drama “Ang Probinsyano” has become very annoying.
In the second part, Angeles laid down the real reasons why the Quo Warranto case was filed.
1. ABS-CBN violated the Constitution by selling PDRs (Philippine Depositary Receipts) 2. They run a pay-per-view scheme without the approval of NTC. 3. They made use of several layers of corporation to hide the transfer of a franchise. According to investopedia.com, a depositary receipt (DR) is a negotiable certificate issued by a bank representing shares in a foreign company traded on a local stock exchange. The depositary receipt gives investors the opportunity to hold shares in the equity of foreign countries and gives them an alternative to trading on an international market.
Angeles confessed that like some people, she is angry sometimes because of ABS-CBN’s nonsense programming or biased news reporting. However, Angeles remarked that if these are the reasons for filing of the Quo Warranto petition, then it proves the allegation of the Opposition that the filing of the case was a means to suppress the freedom of the press.
However, Angeles said this is not the case.
Angeles insisted ABS-CBN violated the conditions of their franchise. That’s the reason a case has been filed at the Supreme Court.
You may start reading the original FB post of Atty. Trixie Cruz-Angeles below.
Liwanagin natin, ha?
HINDI ito ang mga dahilan sa pag file ng quo warranto
1. ni-write off yung DBP debt ng ABS
2. may tax case sila (bayad na nga daw)
3. masyadong biased ang kanilang news
4. dinugas nila yung pambayad sa campaign ads ni Duterte
5. nakakaasar na ang walang katapusang Probinsyano.
Ang mga dahilan ni SolGen:
1. nag violate sila ng saligang batas sa pag benta ng Philippine Depositary Receipts
2. naningil sila ng bayad sa Pay Per View na wala naman sa prankisa nila
3. gumamit ng iba’t iban layers ng korporasyon para itago yung pag lipat nila ng prankisa
Oo, alam kong galit tayo sa minsa’y walang katuturang programming or nakakalokang pagpapanig ng istasyon. Kung yan ang naging dahilan kasi, eh di tama yung kabilang parlor na suppression ng kalayaang magpahayag ang pagkakaso sa kanila.
Lumabag sila sa batas ng prankisa nila. Yan ang basehan ng kaso sa Korte Suprema.